Coming Out of the Pot Closet

I have to vacuum before my mother arrives from Arizona. I’m 40-something years old and I still want her housekeeping approval. While we’re close, and speak on the phone every week, we haven’t seen each other 1:1 for a while. I’m freaking out because I think she’ll have an aneurysm when I tell her how I’ve been paying my bills the past three years.

Garden of Eve

The time has arrived for me to come out of the Pot Closet to my mother.

How did I get here? I was laid off from my event-planning job while dating a “normal-looking” guy, who owned his own landscaping business. “Larry” also happen to own a basement full of marijuana plants for extra spending money (on prostitutes, as it turns out, but that’s a different blog post). He taught me everything I know about being a Pharmer -- from cloning and transplanting, to providing my babies with the proper nutrients and watering techniques.  I learned a lot – about the miraculous cannabis plant, and about the lying, cheating asshole. I dumped him (for the aforementioned activities), but decided to double down on my lifetime commitment to Mary Jane, and set up my own grow basement. And why not? My kids had just left for college, so I had the place all to myself. No job, no man, no kids, no money. 

Fertile Soil

It turns out that I have two green thumbs – up! I love my new life as an MMJ grower, and am thriving on my own. Now all that is left is for me is to figure out how I will tell mom. Maybe like how I begin my day with a mug of coffee and the MJHeadlineNews.com, waiting for the lights to click on in the secret garden. Like the “Witch and the Wardrobe,” I'll open the ordinary door and enter a magical kingdom. Fragrant, orderly, it’s the opposite of twilight, lights flickering bright and brighter as I make my way through the strategically aligned rows of indicas and sativas. It’s otherworldly, and it feels nice and cool - my Zen. Surely, she’ll understand.

I won’t, however, tell her about the days her only daughter walked up and down Rainier Avenue with a Nordstrom backpack, loaded to the gills with fresh chronic, waiting for the dispensaries to open. It’s hard work, and contrary to the would-be Starbucks Billionaire visions of the Green Rush, not all that lucrative. It’s long work, short pay, and lots of paranoia for today’s grower. Most of us do it for the love of the plant, and the good it truly does for those in pain with no other recourse. But the marketplace is flooded. Back in early 2010, G.A.M.E. Dispensary in West Seattle was donating $2,800 per pound - before they shut down and the owner went to prison. B-B-B-Busted Talk about the wild wild west! Today, most dispensaries will offer $1,000 to $2,400 per pound. And since I live and work in Seattle, and we’re going legal soon, who knows what will happen.

But for now, my immediate concern is how to tell my mom that I grow weed without killing her.

Comments

  1. I have Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis,and while there are no known medicines to treat this type of MS that is progressive from onset,Medical Marijuana has helped my symptoms.
    I no longer have to be on multiple pain medicines,instead,I use medical marijuana,primarily in spray,and oral,and in food.
    I use it as needed to help me with the horrid pain and stiffness,and tightness of living with spasticity daily.
    At one time,my legs,arms,and body,were bent,against normal postures,even while sitting from the spasticity.
    The Medical Marijuana,targets the receptors in my body,and release the painful spasticity.It also,helps my epilepsy,and I NOLONGER am on multiple narcotics.
    My life,has opened up,and I am doing things of daily living that I was unable to do for over a decade.
    Please,let your Mom,know how this can alter the life of people like me,to live more fully.
    No one,wants to be imprisoned by pain,and illness,and the receptors in our bodies are in concert with MM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Yolanda - good advice! Much love and healthy mojo to you, sister. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hempy 2014!

PureTech Provides End of Year Report on Key Progress